Tripe soup is a very popular soup in Romania and they serve it at restaurants everywhere. It’s a delicious creamy soup from the sour cream, very garlicky because lots of garlic goes in it, and sour from the vinegar. The tripe is cooked for a long time, so it’s not rubbery, but it can be a bit chewy. Obviously, it has a beef flavour, but it doesn’t really smell strong. The flavour of the soup is amazing and truly delicious.
- 3 lbs beef tripe
- 10 cups water
- 1-piece beef bone
- 2 carrots
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 celery root
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 3 eggs
- 1 parsnip
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
US Customary – Metric
- You can find tripe and beef bone pretty much in Northwest Supermarket. First thing you have to do is wash the tripe really well, when it’s clean it should be white. The purpose of the beef bone and all thevegetables, excluding the garlic, is to flavour the soup, so we will take them all out later.
- In a big pot add the tripe, bone, carrots, celery root, onion, parsnip and boil for 2 to 3 hours. One thing worth mentioning is do not chop the vegetables, leave them whole, so we can easily strain them.
- Take out the tripe and the bone and strain the rest of the vegetables, leaving the broth nice and clear. Cut the tripe into small pieces, about 1 cm wide by 2 cm long. Add it back to the broth.
- Shred the boiled carrots and in a small pan add a tbsp olive and sauté the carrots for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the sour cream and the eggs together well and add to the soup. Add sautéed carrots, the minced garlic and the vinegar to the soup as well. Add salt and pepper to taste and let it come to a boil again. Make sure you taste it and if you require more vinegar feel free to add more.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot. Serve with additional sour cream or vinegar if preferred.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 383kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 227mg | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 943mg | Fibber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 63% | Vitamin C: 16.4% | Calcium: 16.4% | Iron: 14.6%